Thursday, July 23, 2009

Puppy Love



The Pink Elephant Challenge #24 is to use animals as your theme. I love house pets. I grew up in a house full of dogs and as an adult I came seriously close to being the crazy cat lady who lives up the block when I had 7 cats and a dog. Poor Dougie, that dog was always getting wapped by a cat, they'd jump over him and tease him. Dougie was adopted and didn't last too long at our house. He didn't like the cats, the cats didn't like him, most importantly hubbie didn't like him. Hubbie found a home for him with someone who had a dog that looked like his twin and as far as we know they lived happily ever after.

Over the years the kitties have passed on and now we have 2 kitties. Memphis who is at least 18 years old and Shamus who is 3.

My darling daughter would love to have every animal that made it off the ark. One time she came home from a carnival with a beta fish. It was very pretty but when you have several cats and back then we must have had 4 cats, you usually don't keep fish. So we found a secluded spot for him. Guess who feed him and cleaned his tank. hmmmm.... still thinking..... well being his keeper over the years I actually grew fond of him. He shocked me by living three and a half years. When Liddy asked if that was a long time I told her that in my experince with fishies anything over a month was gravy. Last week she came home with a hermit crab. (shiver, yuk) I've got to keep her away from carnivals.

Back to the card. I found a cute set of clear stamps from Inkadinkado (I just love that name) called "Dogs" on sale at the local Michael's. All I needed was an excuse to ink them up, they are just adorable. One of them has an argyle pattern on his body, another polka dots. One of these has squares and the other swirls. I stamped them in Memento rich cocoa on white card stock then brushed Stampin' Up bordering blue around the edges. I used a Stardust clear gelly roll pen over the squares and swirls on the dogs. It's basically writing with clear glitter and it looks great in real life but doesn't show up very well in the picture. If you click on the picture to enlarge it you can see the glitter a little better. I chose a background paper by 3 Bugs in a Rug called Jovial Cheery-O. I didn't have any matching paper so I made my own by stamping the bone stamp in the set with the Memento rich cocoa ink onto beige card stock. I cut my background pieces, tied a blue ribbon around the bone paper and hung a little tag on it. I wrote "puppy love" on it with a brown marker and then drew a heart on it with a pink Souffle marker. I hung the tag off the bow with Stampin' Up Twine. I mounted the dogs on dimensionals and then finished off the card by doing the inside, that's the challenge over at MFT this week so I'm carrying it on with this card too. I used the beige cardstock and stamped the bones on the bottom edge with the rich cocoa.

5 comments:

  1. Wow I have this set of stamps and I haven't inked them up yet (shame on me) - I love what you have done here. The rich cocoa ink looks brilliant.

    Thanks for joining us at the Pink Elephant - hope you'll have time to play again next week.

    Ann xxx
    http://thepinkelephantchallenge.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those puppies are SO cute! I love your card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable card!! Love the LO & DP. Thanks for playing along with us at TPE!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the colours you've chosen to enhance those cute doggies! Your daughter sounds like my kinda girl with her love of animals :)
    Thanks so much for joining our challenge at The Pink Elephant...hope to see you again...

    Hugs
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those doggies! Great paper too!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin