Sunday, August 9, 2009

A Special Request



If you enjoy making cards and make a lot of them being asked to make something special is a good thing. So when my step-daughter, Annie, asked me make a wedding card for her cousin I was psyched. I just got a wedding cake stamp from Lockhart Stamp Co. and this was going to be the perfect reason to get it inky. But then Annie told me that her cousin really loves ladybugs and it would be great if I could make a card with ladybugs on it. Hmmmmm, I had to put my thinking cap on for this. I was trying to picture a bride and groom with ladybugs on their shoulders, a cake with ladybug decorations, maybe a veil with ladybugs around the edges. I wasn't sure if I had a ladybug stamp but I definitely didn't have a bride and groom stamp that would work, or for that matter a veil stamp or a gown stamp. I looked around the Internet for a stamp that I could mix with a ladybug, I looked for a ladybug that looked like a bride, these are just not things that are easy to find. Finally, with minutes to spare before my head would explode I remembered the Stampin' Up Winged Thing set has a little ladybug but I couldn't picture what it looked like or what size it was. So I dug it out and realized it would look good on a white embossed layered card. I love the way these cards look and have made a couple of them in the past but not with ladybugs. I recently made an engagement card like this but the heart elements were stamped and embossed in silver. That wouldn't work for this and I thought about masking part of the heart stamp to put the ladybug on but didn't seem right either. Then I thought about my nestibilities scalloped hearts and that they would work. So for all these ideas I have one major problem. My Big Shot jammed up and got sent back to see if it can be repaired. It just got sent back on Thursday so I have no idea when I'm gonna see it again. Lucky for me, my friend and SU demonstrator Cyndy volunteered her Big Shot. So this afternoon I packed up some embossing folders and my nesties and took a ride up to see Cyndy. We met halfway at a Michael's and that was really great because that Michael's is way better than the one that I usually shop at, but again I digress. So I ran some white card stock thru in cuttlebug embossing folders and ran a couple hearts thru and when I got home I put together the card. I stamped the ladybug on white card stock with versamark and used silver embossing powder on them. I tied a white sparkley ribbon around one piece of the card stock and mounted the pieces on dimensionals. I think it works. I would never have thought of this on my own, but every request is a personal challenge and if your follow this blog you know I love a challenge maybe because I'm easily amused.

2 comments:

  1. This is so darn beautiful, love the monochromatic white and I betcha that card is going to be cherished Forever by the bride. How special

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the ladybugs! I'm glad you came up with such a clever idea - I'm sure she will love it!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin