Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Howl Sweet Is She


Last week was a little hectic. There was an Adult Girl Scout meeting and the weekend was Octoberfest, a weekend retreat at Camp Hoover for adult girl scouts and friends. So with all that goes along with camping, card making was on the back burner and I missed my opportunity to howl. That's what I call it when I make a card for the Midnight Madness Sketch Challenges over on Priscilla's blog. It's always a fun challenge sometimes it's more difficult than other times but that's a good thing, isn't that what a challenge is all about. I like to work from sketches so since I stumbled upon this challenge I've tried to make it a regular part of my week.
This week when I opened the challenge to find MMSC23. The first thing that came to my mind was the fan quilt, which was one of my favorite quilts, not easy to make but lovely when completed. I wish I had the one I completed handy for a picture but I don't so I'm showing a square from one I've yet to put together so you'd get to see where my mind went. On the one I completed I appliqued doilies in the corner. The fan square makes me think of delicate patterns and lace. I thought about using the fabric square in the card but it's relatively large for a card so I decided to look for a stamp and paper that would have the same kind of feel. For that delicate look I go to my Crafty Secrets stamps. This time I chose the "Sweet Kids" set. The papers that I chose are from the Basic Grey "Wisteria" collection - Tea Lights, Cornflower and Gazebo. This led to my color choices, the cs is SU Almost Amethyst. Even though Basic Grey distresses their papers I brushed and edged the papers with Ranger Milled Lavender to get a little more color on the edges. The image was stamped in StazOn brown on SU Confetti White cs so that I could watercolor it. After the watercoloring a little bit of stickles was added to the flowers. To keep that delicate look going I used the Martha Stewart "Doily Lace" border punch on lavender card stock to use on the fan blade sides. The bling rhinestones are from Basic Grey.
By the way there are always lots of things happening over at Priscilla's site, blog candy, contests, blog hops, tutorials...you should go check it out.

So, are you wondering what the heck an old broad like me does at girl scout camp. I have gone horse back riding in the past but this year I took pity on the horses and stayed indoors. I did some paper crafting sessions with my favorite SU demonstrator Cyndy Ponczek. This year her buddy Debbie was there to assist. They are a lot of fun to play with. I also decided to try my hand at basket weaving. Debbie Z did a regular class in which you could make a full size basket but when she offered the chance to make a miniature basket in our downtime I jumped at it. I figured it would be easier to make a little one, boy was I wrong. It came out adorable but it was not easy to get your fingers in and around the little spaces. October is the most magnificent time of year at Camp Hoover. The leaves are changing and the colors are exploding, it's a great weekend.
Thanks for visiting, I hope you come back soon.
Don't forget it's breast cancer awareness month, please click the pink ribbon, and if you have a blog or website, you can put the ribbon on your site and help get more people to click.

7 comments:

  1. Lovely card. Wonderful papers and your color choices are so gorgeous. What a precious image. The MMDesign Team thanks you for playing in our challenge this week. We will be looking for you next week as well!!

    Phyllis MMDesign Team

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Chris - I love this card of yours - you did so well, especially after being so busy!! Love the DP and that image together - it rocks!! Love your colouring too! Thank you for playing the Midnight Madness Sketch Challenge this week - we look forward to seeing what you do next week! See you at the Blog Hop on October 16!
    Linda MMSC Guest Designer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You've had a very busy week! Your card came out just beautifully. I love the soft purples and lacy border punch. The sweet image is perfect. Thanks for playing (howling) along with us each week. :)
    Michelle MMDT

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so pretty! I love the colors - beautiful. I love the fan effect and the doily border is great. The bling and ribbon coordinate beautifully - great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely stunning. I love the vintage look of your card and the wonderful lace. Thanks for including a picture of the fan quilt....so pretty. I am a quilter too!!! Thanks for playing along with us at MMSC again this week. It is always a treat to come and see what you have done and how your sense of humor brightens our day!!! See you tomorrow at the Blog Hop!

    Carol
    MMSC-Guest Designer

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Chris...looks like you are a busy busy lady. Thank you so much for sharing your other project with us..I have yet to make a quilt..seems like such a long term commitment. I am all about Instant gratifications :) I love your cards colors and the image is so sweet. Wonderful take on the sketch...you ROCK them out every week. Thank you so much for playing the Midnight Madness Sketch challenge this week and SEE YOU AT THE HOP!!
    Priscilla
    MMSC Hostess

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing all your wonderful projects with us!! I especially love your take on the MMSC with that gorgeous card!! Love the wisteria paper and that beautiful purple bow!! The image is so sweet. Thanks for playing with the MMSC this week.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin