Monday, November 2, 2009

An Autumn Pin


I am a jewelry snob. I don't wear a lot of jewelry but I prefer it to be gold. I like diamonds and amethysts with my gold, sapphires will work too. I usually wear a wedding ring, earrings, sometimes a watch. On special occasions I have a few other things that I'll put on. I also have a few pieces of costume jewelry but I don't go crazy for the stuff because I'm not big on accessorizing. I know you can make an old outfit look different if you spice it up with your jewelry and scarves but I'm just not that into it. HOWEVER, I do like to throw pins on my jackets and I like to have seasonal pins which tend to be costume jewelry. Awhile ago my SU demonstrator (if you don't have an SU demonstrator go visit her, you'll like her -Hey, Cyndy, how are ya!?) taught a bunch of us to make pins using stamps and Crystal Effects. I've made a few of them over the years. A couple weeks ago I made a strawberry pin and that got me into the groove again. It came out so nice that I decided to make an Autumn pin. I've made a couple extra in case I need a birthday present or maybe I will use them on my Thanksgiving table. I think the "Give Thanks" card could be used as a place setting (I know that's not the word I'm looking for but you know what I mean, you put the name of the person who's supposed to sit there on it - this getting old really does stink, I really miss my brain cells). In the picture I have one pin mounted on the card and I placed another one next to it so you could get the idea that the pin will come off the card. I wore one to work and it was a big success. I gotta say, it's a big bang for the buck, you know it costs next to nothing to make. If you're an avid stamper you probably have most of the supplies on hand, you just might need to go to your craft store for the pin to put on back.
They are very easy to make, you stamp the image, color it in, and give it a backing of black cs. If you want it to be a little dimensional, which I did, you stamp it a second time, color the part you want to give dimension to and cut that part out. For this stamp it's the acorns on the ends, I cut out a second of each and affixed them to the whole stamped image with SU Crystal Effects. you can use Ranger Glossy Accents if you don't have the SU product. I've used both products and they both work well. After you attach the pieces you cover it with the Crystal Effects and sprinkle some glitter on to give it a little extra shine and let it sit for an hour or so to dry. Then you flip it over and apply the Crystal Effects to the back and affix your pin to it. Once it's dry it's ready to wear and let me tell you people will be surprised to find out it's made from paper.
So here's the challenges it can go in. The Pink Elephant #39 a color challenge to use brown, yellow, neutral and a color of your choice, my choice was to use some red for the color of the fallen leaves. The Macabre Monday Challenge #012 is to make something Garishly Glittered. Well I don't think it's very garish but it's got glitter on it. Then there's the Stampin'B's challenge #30 to make a Thanksgiving card (oh, and they say the main purpose is to have fun - well yeah, I love doing this stuff, this is fun - I getta get out more often and not just to AC Moore). The Crafty Creations Challenge #39 is the theme Thanksgiving/Gratitude. Lastly the Simon Says challenge is All That Sparkles and the glitter and Crystal Effects make it sparkly plus I used clear embossing powder on the sentiment to get a little shine there too.
So here's the rest of the details: the stamp is "Acorns" from Hero Arts, the sentiment stamp is "Holiday Best" from SU and is stamped in Close to Cocoa. The die cut is "top note" from SU and is with DCWV Neutrals cs and the yellow card base is DCWV also. I don't know what the leaves DP is.
Thanks for visiting. I hope you liked what you saw and will come visit again.
Don't forget to click on the pink ribbon, the girls will appreciate it.

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful pin, Chris! Fantastic coloring and it definitely has sparkle & shine :) Thanks so much for playing along with Macabre Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This pin is gorgeous! The colors and the shine are great - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful Chris and they do sound easy to make. Thanks for playing along with us this week at TPE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a true fall beauty! Love those rich colours.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin