Thursday, November 5, 2009

Everything Old Is New Again

Back in the 1960's there was the first Earth Day and it was all about conservation. Eventually it became recycling and now we're going green so even that's been recycled. No cynicism here, just saying...I'm all for finding new uses for things instead of tossing them in the garbage. I've got an aunt who's close to 90 and she worked with pre-school kids for years, I gotta tell ya, she found uses for stuff that I would never have thought of. One time she made a wreath out of the plastic that holds six packs of soda cans together. It looked really good. That's my aunt Josephine and she's till crafting.
This week's CCEE Stampers' challenge is to alter something and coincidentally my boss gave me a tin. She knows I like to make stuff so she gives me nice boxes and tins instead of throwing them out. So I decided to make something for her with it. I didn't know what to do with it so I checked out some other challenges and picked my color scheme from the the Color Dare #41 challenge to use Very Vanilla, Bermuda Bay and Soft Suede. That's a color combo I like a lot. One of my newest toys is a set of Just Right monogram stamps and fonts and I wanted to play with it so that's what I did. I made the monogram of her last initial to use on the lid. It's stamped with Versamark on white cs and embossed with gold powder and punched out with a SU circle punch. After that I used Blossom Nestibilities to punch out cs in the Color Dare colors with the bottom layer punched with a circle die. Each layer is mounted on dimensionals. A strip of Soft Suede ribbon is attached to the lid's rim. The bottom of the tin is covered with dp from the Crate Paper Prudence Collection. It wasn't wide enough to go entirely around the tin but amazingly the pattern matched up when the small piece was cut to fit the remaining section. Whoa, was that cool. I don't where I got the idea to make the bookmarks, but I made three out of large paper clips I had on hand. The backing scalloped circle is made with a SU scalloped circle punch.

This worked up pretty quickly and easily. I think just about anyone would like the tin and you can fill it with anything, the clips are a nice inexpensive filler. You can change the stamped image to something cutesy and put hair clips and ribbons for a little girl. How about a fish stamp and put some fishing flies in it for a guy. If you put your mind to it you can make a gift for just about anyone with this size tin. How about something for one of your stamping buddies? You can fit a stamp in it, or brads or both. Now that's a gift I'd like to receive.

Thanks for visiting, I hope you come back again.

Don't forget to click on the pink ribbon, it's a simple thing to do and it's a good thing. Get some good karma going, just click on it.

7 comments:

  1. First off this is fabulous, love the colors too. I hear ya lady, love thinking of fantastic uses for containers that are too wonderful to throw out. Who would not love to receive such a wonderful gift

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris, this is GORGEOUS! What a great altered project. I absolutely love how you used the colors and I'm totally loving that monogramming! The paper clips turned bookmarks is another fantastic idea. All around AWESOME project. Glad you joined us at the Color Dare this week...come back and play again!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! This is absolutely stunning!!! what a great idea! i love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really a lovely container! Love the colors and the monogram is great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Job Chris! I am one who loves to cover unsuspecting objects with designer paper as well! I love how you altered this little container, it is wonderful! Thanks for joining us at the color dare! Hope to see you again next week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty! Fabulous idea...thanks for playing along at The Color Dare.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin