Friday, November 13, 2009

Lazy Daisy Cake

That's right a recipe, and not for a card but for a cake. Did you think you clicked on the wrong link? Well, tomorrow morning I going to go to an SCS Shoebox Swap. We're all bringing something and I'm bringing Lazy Daisy Cake. I figured I'd type it up here and if anyone wants the recipe they can find it here. It's a lot easier to write down your website 20 times, than to write down the recipe. This is a cake my mom used to make all the time. She was a great cook and an excellent baker, there was always something freshly baked in our house and all my friends were familiar with her skills and knew where to look to see what the day's treat was.
This cake is made in a "lasagna" pan, basically a 13 x 9 x 2 incher.

Lazy Daisy Cake
1 cup Milk
2 tbsp unsalted butter
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups sifted unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Topping
6 tbsp (3/4 stick) of butter
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp (packed) brown sugar
1 can (4 oz) coconut -NOTE: my mother always had this I can never find it so I just use the bagged stuff, about a cup will do
1 /4 cup milk
1 tbsp vanilla extract

1.) Preheat over to 350, butter and flour the pan.
2.) In a small pot heat the mile and butter till scalding, don't let it boil.
3.) In a large bowl beat the eggs, add the sugar and beat till thick and foamy, slowly add the milk mixture and the vanilla.
4.) Sift flour, baking powder and salt together. Slowly beat this into the egg mixture. Pour the batter into the pan. The batter is not thick like a cake mix, it's a little on the loose side.
5.) Bake for about 30 minutes, test with toothpick. Cool slightly in pan.
6.) Prepare topping by melting butter in saucepan, add brown sugar, and milk. Stir in coconut and vanilla.
&.) Spread the mixture over the top of the cake and place it under the broiler about 4" away from the flame and broil till the topping starts to bubble. Move as necessary to get topping evenly browned. Don't walk away because the topping can go from toasted to burnt in the blink of an eye.

During the summer my father's family used to get together at my Uncle Joe's house on the weekends. He had a built in pool which was a really big deal when we were kids. My father had 3 brothers and 4 sisters, I think there were 27 cousins but the number was in flux, and almost everyone one of us and maybe some of our friends were at my uncles having a blast. They used to cook full dinners for us and my mother always made a cake or cookies to take and this cake was so popular with my cousins that to this day when we have a get together someone will ask me if I can bring it.
This cake was also a favorite of my father. He especially loved the toasted coconut topping, so did I. He worked nights and lots of times when he came home he'd have a snack, while the rest of were sleeping. It used to bug my mother, not that he ate the cake but when she wasn't around cutting it for him, he would break of the top so that she'd find a chunk of cake with the top ripped off it in the pan. One day I saw the pan on the counter, the cake was usually almost as tall as the pan and this time the cake was really low in the pan, it was just about an inch high. So I asked my mother what happened to the cake, and she said "I finally figured out that if I half the recipe your father won't mess up the cake". Geez, she was smart.

Give the recipe a try, it's a real old fashioned one, but it's really good.
Thanks for visiting, I hope you'll come back again, and hey, don't forget to click on the ribbon.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm, that cake sound delicious!!! I'll have to try that sometime! Thanks for sharing your recipe! And your stories!!!!

    I have a blog award for you on my blog! Go grab it and do the survey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cake is outrageous!!! It was so delicious - I definitely will print out the recipe! Had a great time with you & Edna & all the people we met on Saturday - lots of fun & laughs!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin